Ten years ago, in September 2004, Green Day released one of the biggest albums of the year – and the decade. American Idiot revived Green Day’s career and changed the face of rock music in the years that followed. It was an instant classic, and remains an iconic album in rock music ten years later.
To celebrate the 10th anniversary of American Idiot, Kerrang organized and released a tribute album, which came out earlier this week with their latest magazine issue. Every song was redone in order, but they also threw in two Dookie covers at the end – it is that album’s 20th anniversary this year, after all! Kerrang gathered the new generation of punk, hardcore, metal, and alternative rock bands – plus a few more seasoned artists – to help commemorate Green Day’s rock opera masterpiece.
The tributes are straightforward overall, with the punk bands matching the energy and enthusiasm that Green Day was known for at the beginning of their career. Perhaps the most unexpected and different cover is that of “Extraordinary Girl,” performed by Frank Iero (previously the guitarist for My Chemical Romance). His version of the song is much darker and eerier than Green Day’s original recording, and it’s an impressive demonstration of how much a song can change with the right rearranging.
Below is the tribute album’s tracklisting (identical to the original American Idiot release apart from the two bonus Dookie tracks), along with the bands that covered them:
1. American Idiot – 5 Seconds Of Summer
2. Jesus Of Suburbia – Rise To Remain
3. Holiday – The Blackout
4. Boulevard Of Broken Dreams – Neck Deep
5. Are We The Waiting – You Me At Six
6. St. Jimmy – Bowling For Soup
7. Give Me Novacaine – Escape The Fate
8. She’s A Rebel – Falling In Reverse
9. Extraordinary Girl – Frank Iero
10. Letterbomb – LostAlone
11. Wake Me Up When September Ends – The Defiled
12. Homecoming – Lonely The Brave
13. Whatsername – New Politics
14. Welcome To Paradise – State Champs
15. Basket Case – The Swellers
You can hear all 15 covers below, or buy the album from Kerrang.
If you need a refresher on how Green Day’s American Idiot sounded, check it out here:
What do you think of the bands’ covers? Did they do Green Day justice? It’s great to hear such an iconic album as American Idiot commemorated like this. Thank you to Kerrang and all 15 artists that made this tribute!
There is no word on whether Green Day has any other plans to celebrate the 10th anniversary of American Idiot. They did little on Dookie‘s 20th birthday, earlier this year, unfortunately. Nonetheless, both albums are cemented in rock history as game changers in the transforming music scene.
- Hayley Williams Shares Final Three Lyric Videos - August 4, 2020
- Halestorm Releases Studio Version of “Break In” Featuring Amy Lee - July 31, 2020
- See Lyric Video for Ellie Goulding & Lauv’s Single, “Slow Grenade” - July 3, 2020