Three weeks ago, we were excited to learn that Avril Lavigne would appear on Tommee Profitt’s new Christmas album, The Birth Of A King. Today, the full album is out, and we can hear Avril’s contribution. She sings an amazing cover of “What Child Is This?”
The new cover of “What Child Is This?” starts of traditionally enough, Avril crooning the recognizable melody over harp and piano. But early on, the low hum of synths and haunting choir preview the epic direction this will go in. Then, a little over two minutes in, Avril goes off vocally: her high belts are unexpected but stunning! The song ends dramatically, with rapid violin closing it out.
Listen to Tommee and Avril’s cover of “What Child Is This?” below:
The Birth Of A King includes the following 17 tracks, nearly all of them featuring one or two guest artists:
- O Come O Come Emmanuel
- We Three Kings (feat. We The Kingdom)
- Noel (He Is Born) [feat. Stanaj]
- Go Tell It On The Mountain (feat. Crowder)
- O Come All Ye Faithful (feat. Sarah Reeves)
- Joy To The World (He Is Come) [feat. Clark Beckham]
- O Holy Night (feat. Tauren Wells and SVRCINA)
- Away In A Manger (feat. DANIEL SAINT BLACK and Ruelle)
- What Child Is This? (feat. Avril Lavigne)
- Silent Night (feat. Fleurie)
- Angels We Have Heard On High (feat. Nicole Serrano)
- It Came Upon A Midnight Clear (feat. Brooke)
- O Little Town Of Bethlehem (feat. Rachael Lampa)
- God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen
- Mary Did You Know? (feat. Jordan Smith)
- Hark! The Herald Angels Sing (feat. Kari Jobe)
- He Is Born (Reprise) [feat. Fleurie and Chris Tomlin]
It’s not as secular as most holiday albums tend towards. This is a notably religious and traditional selection of songs. However, the songs get a new mood with film scoring styled music and production. Tommee Profitt has breathed new life into his Christmas album, making it a refreshing offering.
More from Avril Lavigne
Avril’s last album, Head Above Water, came out in February 2019. It launched the singles “Head Above Water,” “Tell Me It’s Over,” “Dumb Blonde,” and “I Fell In Love With The Devil.” Earlier this year, she reworked its closing song, “Warrior,” to fit the COVID-19 pandemic. Renamed “We Are Warriors,” its proceeds have gone to help those in need during this pandemic.
Her last holiday song was “Baby It’s Cold Outside” with Jonny Blu in 2017. Earlier in her career, Avril also covered “O Holy Night.”
Avril has recently revealed that she’s been writing a lot of new songs during her self-isolation. While there’s no timeframe for when we’ll get to hear new music, it’s great to know that she’s feeling inspired and writing new material.
Beyond music, Avril has also stated that she plans to write a cookbook. Avril has talked about her love of cooking for years – at least as far back as Under My Skin in 2004 – and has been sharing Instagram stories from her kitchen lately. We’d be happy to get a new kind of creative project from Avril, and a cookbook sounds great!
The Birth Of A King
Enjoy Tommee Profitt’s new Christmas album, The Birth Of A King, out now. We love “What Child Is This?” featuring Avril Lavigne, but the whole record will make a great soundtrack for this holiday season. Keep checking back here for all the latest music news.
- Lana Del Rey Previews New Album with “Let Me Love You Like A Woman” - October 16, 2020
- Avril Lavigne Sings Epic New Cover of “What Child Is This?” - October 16, 2020
- Amy Lee to Appear on New Song with Bring Me The Horizon - October 14, 2020