- Album Title: After Laughter
- Release Date: May 12, 2017
- Label: Fueled By Raman
- Recording Dates: March 2016-Early 2017
- Status: Album recorded, mixed, and produced, ready for release
- Lead Single: "Hard Times" (released April 19, 2017)
- Promo Single: "Told You So" (released May 3, 2017)
- Expected Sound: Funky pop rock, 1980s inspired
- Expected Themes: Depression, anxiety, friendships, love, marriage
- Songwriters: Hayley Williams, Taylor York, Zac Farro, Aaron Weiss
- Read Our Track-By-Track Album Review Now
In April 2013, Paramore released their self-titled 4th studio album, the first to be released as a trio without founding members Zac and Josh Farro. Paramore proved that the band still had it, and it launched the hit singles "Now," "Still Into You," and "Ain't It Fun." After a couple of successful tours, in late 2014 Paramore re-released the album with unheard bonus tracks and live recordings, as well as a new duet version of "Hate To See Your Heart Break." The era finally ended with a short "Writing The Future" tour in 2015, and with that, the band was ready to start recording a new album.
Sadly, 2015 closed with the departure of bassist Jeremy Davis, leaving Paramore smaller than ever. The duo then included only singer Hayley Williams and guitarist Taylor York. The two began writing and recording in March 2016, and they spent most of the year getting the new music together. Excitement buzzed when ex-drummer (and founding member) Zac Farro returned in summer 2016. There was speculation about whether he was officially back with the band or only playing drums on the new album. By the beginning of 2017, it was clear he had truly rejoined Paramore.
On April 19, 2017, Paramore announced that After Laughter will be out on May 12th. The announced the full 12-song tracklist and released the first single, "Hard Times," along with a music video. On May 3rd, they released another song and music video, "Told You So." The new album came out on May 12th.