- Album Title: TBA
- Release Date: Spring 2021
- Status: Ready for Release!
- Label: Stunvolume
- Recording Dates: January 2018 - March 2020
- Mixing Dates: April 2020 - September 2020
- Teaser Single: "No Horses," released July 14, 2017
- RSD Single: "Destroying Angels," released November 23, 2018 (physically) and January 4, 2019 (digitally)
- Other Known Song Titles:
- [unreadable] About You
- This City Will Kill You
- The Creeps
- [unreadable] K
- Waiting For God To Show Up
- Anonymous Sexx
- Expected Sound: Cinematic, dark, depressing, personal, political, spacey, poppier, lots of guitars, lots of hooks and melodies
- Expected Themes: Politics, social issues
- Songwriters: Shirley Manson, Butch Vig, Duke Erikson, Steve Marker
After celebrating the 20th anniversary of their self-titled debut in 2015, Garbage released their last album, Strange Little Birds, in June 2016. It launched the singles "Empty" and "Magnetized," not to mention frontwoman Shirley Manson's candy pink hair. By spring 2017, though, the band was already working on the next project. First up was their book, This Is The Noise That Keeps Me Awake.
That summer, Garbage released a song called "No Horses," one of five they had already started working on. That fall, drummer Butch Vig said they hoped to have a new album out in summer 2018. Of course, that year was also the 20th anniversary of their sophomore record, Version 2.0. A reissue of that album came out in June 2018, with a handful of tour dates following that fall.
Early in 2018, the band began demoing and recording for their next album. They worked on it off and on throughout the year - in between all the Version 2.0 celebration - but also had time for a Record Store Day: Black Friday single. On November 23rd, they shared their new song "Destroying Angels" in a limited physical release; in January 2019, the song was released digitally as well.
Garbage spent much of 2019 in the studio, even teasing a few song titles in an autumn post on Instagram. By March 2020, they were mostly finished tracking and ready to mix. Mixing went from April to September 2020. On September 26th, Garbage announced that the album was officially done!
The album is tentatively set for release in spring 2021.