- Album Title: No Gods No Masters
- Release Date: June 11, 2021
- Label: Stunvolume
- Recording Dates: January 2018 - March 2020
- Mixing Dates: April 2020 - September 2020
- Mastered: By December 2020
- Lead Single: "The Men Who Rule The World," released March 30, 2021
- Second Single: "No Gods No Masters," released April 28, 2021
- Third Single: "Wolves," released on May 19, 2021
- Official Tracklist:
- The Men Who Rule The World
- The Creeps
- Uncomfortably Me
- Waiting For God
- Anonymous XXX
- A Woman Destroyed
- Flipping The Bird
- No Gods No Masters
- This City Will Kill You
- Expected Sound: Cinematic, dark, depressing, personal, political, spacey, poppier, lots of guitars, lots of hooks and melodies
- Expected Themes: Politics, social issues
- Songwriters: Shirley Manson, Butch Vig, Duke Erikson, Steve Marker
After celebrating the 20th anniversary of their self-titled debut in 2015, Garbage released their last album, Strange Little Birds, in June 2016. It launched the singles "Empty" and "Magnetized," not to mention frontwoman Shirley Manson's candy pink hair. By spring 2017, though, the band was already working on the next project. First up was their book, This Is The Noise That Keeps Me Awake.
That summer, Garbage released a song called "No Horses," one of five they had already started working on. That fall, drummer Butch Vig said they hoped to have a new album out in summer 2018. Of course, that year was also the 20th anniversary of their sophomore record, Version 2.0. A reissue of that album came out in June 2018, with a handful of tour dates following that fall.
Early in 2018, the band began demoing and recording for their next album. They worked on it off and on throughout the year - in between all the Version 2.0 celebration - but also had time for a Record Store Day: Black Friday single. On November 23rd, they shared their new song "Destroying Angels" in a limited physical release; in January 2019, the song was released digitally as well.
Garbage spent much of 2019 in the studio, even teasing a few song titles in an autumn post on Instagram. By March 2020, they were mostly finished tracking and ready to mix. Mixing went from April to September 2020. On September 26th, Garbage announced that the album was officially done! By December 2020, it had also been mastered.
In early 2021, Garbage has been gearing up for some big announcements and likely some singles. In March, they confirmed that it'll be coming soon, with a Beautiful Garbage 20th anniversary box set to follow.
Finally, on March 30th, Garbage made the big announcement: Their album, No Gods No Masters, will be out on June 11th! It's available to pre-order and pre-save, and the full tracklist is now available. That same day, Garbage shared "The Men Who Rule The World" as the lead single along with a music video. One month later, on April 28th, the band shared the title track as the second single along with a music video. Then, on May 19th, "Wolves" became the third single.