- Album Title: TBA
- Release Date: 2022
- Recording Dates: 2019 - Present
- Writing Dates: 2019 - Present
- Lead Single: "Don't Wait Up," released 7/16/21
- Expected Sound: Dance, pop, rock, new direction for Shakira
- Expected Themes: Relationships, family, children, political and social issues, personal development
- Collaborators: Ali Tamposi, Andrew Watt, Anuel AA, Emily Warren, Ian Kirkpatrick, Rafa Arcaute, The Monsters & Strangerz
Shakira released her last album, El Dorado, in May 2017, but the era continued through the end of 2019. Following several singles and a world tour, the era culminated in the release of her live film, Shakira In Concert: El Dorado World Tour, in November 2019.
Even so, Shakira was already writing and recording new music that fall. We got our first taste of her new music when Shakira released "Me Gusta" as a single in January 2020. The song features Anuel AA, and its music video came out in March. Shakira continued working during the Coronavirus-induced lockdown.
In June 2020, Shakira appeared on a new Black Eyed Peas song called "Girl Like Me"; its music video came out six months in December.
Shakira has been recording in the first half of 2021, and has shared numerous updates on her social accounts, including revealing collaborators. In a June interview with Vogue México y Latinoamérica, Shakira revealed that her first single would be out in July. She'd already filmed its music video, too. Shakira also stated that the new music is different from what she's done in the past, and she described one political new song.
On July 16th, Shakira released "Don't Wait Up" as the lead single for her next album. The fizzy song also came with a music video.
Additional singles will come later in the year, with a full album due in 2022.