Today may be the most exciting day in pop punk history. Not only are Green Day, Fall Out Boy, and Weezer joining up for a massive 2020 tour – aptly named the Hella Mega Tour – all three bands also just released new singles and announced upcoming albums. What a glorious day! Fall Out Boy shared their new song, “Dear Future Self (Hands Up)” featuring Wyclef Jean ahead of their upcoming compilation, Believers Never Die: Volume Two, due on November 15, 2019. This is their second greatest hits album, following the original Believers Never Die released in 2009.
“Dear Future Self (Hands Up)” opens with a quick, surfer-rock beat and a melting guitar riff. Its energetic, layered sound is complemented by whistles. Along a simple but catchy melody, Patrick Stump sings the lyrics rapidly, making it hard to make out all the words on first listen. Wyclef Jean features in a few interludes throughout the song, slowing it down just enough before “Dear Future Self” picks up the pace once more.
The new song also comes with a music video. The whole theme here is… ice cream cone?! Watch as Patrick, Pete, Joe, and Andy enjoy ice cream cones covered in sprinkles, fudge, and cherries, as if for the first time. It’s an odd and simple video, yet also cute and fun to watch. It may also leave you with a craving for ice cream – just make sure you listen to “Dear Future Self” during your snack!
Listen to “Dear Future Self (Hands Up)” featuring Wyclef Jean in the music video below:
The new single will appear on Fall Out Boy’s upcoming compilation, Believers Never Die: Volume Two, due out on November 15th. We don’t yet know the full tracklisting – which singles will make the cut, whether it will only focus on post-hiatus albums, and if there will be any additional new songs. Fall Out Boy should announce the tracklisting in the coming weeks.
Pete Wentz did reveal that Believers Never Die: Volume Two is their last album with their Island Records contract. It’s unclear what label they’ll be on in the future when it’s time to release another record.
Last time Fall Out Boy released a greatest hits compilation, it preceded a hiatus. The band had been go-go-go for years, and they needed and deserved a break. During that time, the members each went their separate ways, working on new musical projects that largely didn’t sound like Fall Out Boy.
We may be at that point again, one decade later. Fall Out Boy released three albums – plus some EPs and a remix record – in rapid succession, and they may be due for another break. It’s unclear if they will indeed take another hiatus or how long it would last, but it’s something to consider. But who knows – they could be ready to surprise with another full album in the new year. Time will tell.
Hella Mega Tour
Coinciding with the release of “Dear Future Self (Hands Up)” and the announcement of their new greatest hits album, Fall Out Boy also announced a massive upcoming tour. The Hella Mega Tour will see Fall Out Boy co-headlining with Green Day and Weezer, with The Interrupters supporting the bands.
Check out the hilarious announcement video here:
The Hell Mega tour with Green Day, Fall Out Boy, and Weezer will officially kick off in Europe on June 13th:
- Saturday, June 13th – Paris, France – La Defense Arena
- Sunday, June 14th – Groningen, Netherlands – Stadspark
- Wednesday, June 17th – Antwerp, Belgium – Sportpaleis
- Sunday, June 21st – Vienna, Austria – Ernst Happel Stadium
- Wednesday, June 24th – Glasgow, Scotland – Bellahouston Park
- Friday, June 26th – London, England – London Stadium
- Saturday, June 27th – Huddersfield, England – The John Smith’s Stadium
- Monday, June 29th – Dublin, Ireland – RDS Arena
The Hella Mega tour finishes in North America in July and August:
- Friday, July 17th – Seattle, WA – T-Mobile Park
- Tuesday, July 21st – San Francisco, CA – Oracle Park
- Friday, July 24th – San Diego, CA – Petco Park
- Saturday, July 25th – Los Angeles, CA – Dodger Stadium
- Tuesday, July 28th – Commerce City, CO – DICK’s Sporting Goods Park
- Friday, July 31st – Arlington, TX – Globe Life Field
- Saturday, August 1st – Houston, TX – Minute Maid Park
- Wednesday, August 5th – Miami, FL – Hard Rock Stadium
- Thursday, August 6th – Jacksonville, FL – TIAA Bank Field
- Saturday, August 8th – Atlanta, GA – SunTrust Park
- Tuesday, August 11th – Minneapolis, MN – Target Field
- Thursday, August 13th – Chicago, IL – Wrigley Field
- Saturday, August 15th – Pittsburgh, PA – PNC Park
- Sunday, August 16th – Hershey, PA – Hersheypark Stadium
- Wednesday, August 19th – Detroit, MI – Comerica Park
- Friday, August 21st – Washington, DC – Nationals Park
- Saturday, August 22nd – New York, NY – Citi Field
- Monday, August 24th – Toronto, ON – Rogers Centre
- Thursday, August 27th – Boston, MA – Fenway Park
- Saturday, August 29th – Philadelphia, PA – Citizens Bank Park
Enjoy the new Fall Out Boy song, “Dear Future Self (Hands Up)” featuring Wyclef Jean. Be sure to also check out Green Day’s “Father Of All…” and Weezer’s “The End Of The Game.” Get ready to see Fall Out Boy with Green Day and Weezer next year! You can pick up tickets next week.
Keep checking back here for all the latest music news.
- Bruno Mars Announces Album with Anderson Paak in New Duo, Silk Sonic - February 26, 2021
- Kelly Clarkson Has Written 60 Songs for New Album Since Divorce - February 25, 2021
- Ellie Goulding Shares Shocking Announcement: She’s Pregnant! - February 23, 2021