Today may be the most exciting day in pop punk history. Not only are Green Day, Fall Out Boy, and Weezer joining up for a massive 2020 tour – aptly named the Hella Mega Tour – all three bands also just released new singles and announced upcoming albums. What a glorious day! Green Day shared their new song, “Father Of All…” the title track from their upcoming album, Father Of All…, due on February 7, 2020.
Green Day’s new song is a bit of a shocking departure for the band. While it has the musical energy we’ve come to know and love – dirty guitars, grooving bass, and rolling drums – frontman Billie Joe Armstrong’s vocals got quite the update. He sings the verses in falsetto, filtered through some voice effect for added measure. In a new interview, he joked that he was trying to sing like Prince. The “Father Of All…” chorus is more familiar territory for Green Day, catchy and direct.
“Father Of All…” sounds most comparable to Green Day’s album ¡Dos! or to their 2008 side band Foxboro Hot Tubs. It could also be compared to Billie Joe’s 2018 side project, The Longshot. The song is polarizing – not surprising, given how different it sounds – and may require several listens just to wrap your head around it. It’s fast and fun, though, and an intriguing start to Green Day’s next album era.
Listen to “Father Of All…” below:
The new single will appear on Green Day’s upcoming album, Father Of All…, due out on February 7, 2020. While we don’t yet know the 10-song tracklisting, we do know that the full album clocks in at a mere 26 minutes. This will make it Green Day’s shortest album to date, even shorter than Insomniac.
In a bemusing new statement about the upcoming album, Billie Joe shared:
this record is The New!
soul, Motown, glam and manic anthemic. Punks, freaks and punishers!
The Dirty messy . The Stink. ,
The lyrics are like a party and lifestyle of not giving a fuck. The life AND death of the party. Not political. Surviving in chaos. The real shit.
Me mike and Tre of the Green Day cut through the bullshit. That’s how it’s always been for us. Everything else is fake. Frauds I tell ya!!
Rock has lost its balls. We’re gonna teabag all these mother fuckers. The baddest rock band on the planet that gives a shit.
“Glorious” or “glorious anarchy” seems to be the word that keeps coming up that reflects
Dangerous songs for dangerous kids!
“Nothing says fuck you like a unicorn”
Love And kisses
Changing Labels & More Music Possibilities
In a series of new interviews today, Green Day did imply that this will be their last album with Warner Records. They’ve been with the major label since the early 1990s, and all of their albums from Dookie onwards have been released by Warner.
Additionally, the band members also suggested the possibility of them releasing a second album 2020 – possibly on their own label after leaving Warner. Hmmm…
Hella Mega Tour
Coinciding with the release of “Father Of All…” and the announcement of their new album, Green Day also announced a massive upcoming tour. The Hella Mega Tour will see Green Day co-headlining with Fall Out Boy and Weezer, with The Interrupters supporting the bands.
Check out the hilarious announcement video here:
Green Day will kick things off with their own tour across Asia:
- Sunday, March 8th – Singapore – Singapore Indoor Stadium
- Wednesday, March 11th – Bangkok, Thailand – Impact Arena
- Saturday, March 14th – Manila, Phillippines – Mall of Asia Arena
- Tuesday, March 17th – Taipei, Taiwan – Taipei Arena
- Friday, March 20th – Hong Kong – World Expo
- Sunday, March 22nd – Seoul, South Korea – Jamsil Indoor Gym
- Wednesday, March 25th – Osaka, Japan – Intex
- Friday, March 27th – Tokyo, Japan – Tokyo Messe
And Green Day will tour Northern Europe alone as well:
- Sunday, May 24th- Moscow, Russia – Spartak Stadium
- Wednesday, May 27th – Helsinki, Finland – Suvilahti
- Friday, May 29th – Stockholm, Sweden – Tele2 Arena
- Sunday, May 31st – Alesund, Norway – Color Line Stadion
Green Day and Weezer will then play two dates without Fall Out Boy:
- June 3rd – Berlin, Germany – Wuhlheide
- June 10th – Milan, Italy – Ippodromo San Siro
Finally, the Hell Mega tour with Green Day, Fall Out Boy, and Weezer will kick off in Europe on June 13th:
- Saturday, June 13th – Paris, France – La Defense Arena
- Sunday, June 14th – Groningen, Netherlands – Stadspark
- Wednesday, June 17th – Antwerp, Belgium – Sportpaleis
- Sunday, June 21st – Vienna, Austria – Ernst Happel Stadium
- Wednesday, June 24th – Glasgow, Scotland – Bellahouston Park
- Friday, June 26th – London, England – London Stadium
- Saturday, June 27th – Huddersfield, England – The John Smith’s Stadium
- Monday, June 29th – Dublin, Ireland – RDS Arena
The Hella Mega tour finishes in North America:
- Friday, July 17th – Seattle, WA – T-Mobile Park
- Tuesday, July 21st – San Francisco, CA – Oracle Park
- Friday, July 24th – San Diego, CA – Petco Park
- Saturday, July 25th – Los Angeles, CA – Dodger Stadium
- Tuesday, July 28th – Commerce City, CO – DICK’s Sporting Goods Park
- Friday, July 31st – Arlington, TX – Globe Life Field
- Saturday, August 1st – Houston, TX – Minute Maid Park
- Wednesday, August 5th – Miami, FL – Hard Rock Stadium
- Thursday, August 6th – Jacksonville, FL – TIAA Bank Field
- Saturday, August 8th – Atlanta, GA – SunTrust Park
- Tuesday, August 11th – Minneapolis, MN – Target Field
- Thursday, August 13th – Chicago, IL – Wrigley Field
- Saturday, August 15th – Pittsburgh, PA – PNC Park
- Sunday, August 16th – Hershey, PA – Hersheypark Stadium
- Wednesday, August 19th – Detroit, MI – Comerica Park
- Friday, August 21st – Washington, DC – Nationals Park
- Saturday, August 22nd – New York, NY – Citi Field
- Monday, August 24th – Toronto, ON – Rogers Centre
- Thursday, August 27th – Boston, MA – Fenway Park
- Saturday, August 29th – Philadelphia, PA – Citizens Bank Park
Father Of All…
Enjoy the new Green Day song, “Father Of All…” Be sure to also check out Fall Out Boy’s “Dear Future Self (Hands Up)” and Weezer’s “The End Of The Game.” Get ready to see Green Day with Fall Out Boy and Weezer next year! You can pick up tickets next week.
Keep checking back here for all the latest music news.
Latest posts by Hidden Jams (see all)
- Hear Vanessa Carlton’s New Single, “The Only Way To Love” - January 17, 2020
- “Oh Yeah!” Is Green Day’s Best ‘Father Of All…’ Song Yet - January 16, 2020
- Alicia Keys Lifts Others Up In New Song & Video, “Underdog” - January 9, 2020