Two days ago, Kelly Clarkson announced that her new song, “Broken & Beautiful,” will serve as the lead single for the UglyDolls soundtrack. While the movie’s soundtrack doesn’t come out until April 26th, you can already hear the uplifting new song. P!nk co-wrote “Broken & Beautiful” with Marshmello, Johnny McDavid, and Steve Mac.
“Broken & Beautiful” marks a return to Kelly’s pop sound after her brilliantly soulful 2017 album. It starts with light percussion and atmospheric space, creating a clean backdrop for Kelly’s vocals. She sings about her strength and independence, her triumphs and flaws, before launching into a huge chorus. She doesn’t need to be fixed – she just wants to be understood and loved for who she is. Kelly is the queen of empowering songs, and “Broken & Beautiful” reaffirms her message. It sounds strikingly like a P!nk song – naturally, since P!nk co-wrote it.
The new single also comes with a bold, colorful lyric video featuring the UglyDolls characters. Learn the words to “Broken & Beautiful” in its lyric video below:
You can stream or download “Broken & Beautiful” at all the major music providers here. It’s the lead single from the upcoming UglyDolls film’s soundtrack album, due out on April 26th.
Kelly sings three of the soundtrack songs alone, while also singing with Janelle Monáe on two tracks. Other songs on the album feature Bebe Rexha, Nick Jonas, Pentatonix, Blake Shelton, Why Don’t we, and Anitta. Check out the full tracklisting below:
- Broken & Beautiful – by Kelly Clarkson
- Couldn’t Be Better (Pop Version) – by Kelly Clarkson
- Today’s the Day – by Kelly Clarkson
- Couldn’t Be Better (Movie Version) – by Kelly Clarkson & UglyDolls Cast
- Today’s the (Perfect) Day – by UglyDolls Cast
- The Ugly Truth – by Nick Jonas
- You Make My Dreams – by Pentatonix
- The Uglier Truth – by Nick Jonas
- All Dolled Up – by Janelle Monáe feat. Kelly Clarkson
- Unbreakable – by Janelle Monáe & Kelly Clarkson
- The Big Finale – by UglyDolls Cast
- Girl in the Mirror – by Bebe Rexha
- Ugly (English Version) – by Anitta
- Don’t Change – by Why Don’t We
- Wallflowers & Weeds – by Blake Shelton
- Ugly (Spanish Version) – by Anitta
Kelly doesn’t just sing on the movie’s soundtrack! She also lends her voice to the leading character, Moxy. Kelly previously did voice acting for the 2017 animated Christmas film, The Star, in which she played a horse named Leah. Continuing her voice acting, Kelly will also appear in the 2020 film, Trolls World Tour, a sequel to 2016’s Trolls. As with UglyDolls, Kelly will have an original song featured in the Trolls World Tour soundtrack.
Kelly’s songs and covers have appeared on numerous soundtracks over the years. Her most recent contribution was a cover of “Never Enough” for The Greatest Showman – Reimagined. She also notably covered “It’s Quiet Uptown” for Hamilton Mixtape in 2016.
Kelly Clarkson’s latest album, Meaning Of Life, came out in fall 2017. It launched her singles “Love So Soft,” “I Don’t Think About You,” and “Heat,” as well as promo singles “Move You” and “Meaning Of Life.” Kelly is just finishing her Meaning Of Life Tour, which further cemented her role as a leading live innovator.
In addition to her own music, Kelly is also coaching for the third season in a row on The Voice. She won the first two rounds, so we’ll see if she can continue her winning streak. Combining her music and television sensibilities, Kelly will host the Billboard Music Awards for the second year in a row this May. Her opening medley last year was epic, so we have high hopes for what Kelly will pull off this year! This fall, she’ll also launch her own TV talk show, The Kelly Clarkson Show.
Kelly’s busy schedule doesn’t end there. She’s also reportedly working on a new album. Some uncovered song titles include “Step Up” and “Something New,” though it’s unclear if those will appear on her next record.
Enjoy the new “Broken & Beautiful,” and get ready to hear more Kelly songs once the UglyDolls soundtrack album comes out next month! You pre-order the UglyDolls soundtrack album now; the film will be in theaters on May 3rd. Keep checking back here for all the latest Kelly Clarkson news.
- Natasha Bedingfield’s “Adorable” New Single is a Sweet and Sultry Bop - July 29, 2021
- Natasha Bedingfield Previews New Song, Aptly Titled “Adorable” - July 21, 2021
- Shakira Launches Next Era With Fizzy New Single, “Don’t Wait Up” - July 16, 2021